- Gordon, C. & Nguyen, N.M. (June, 2021). Chef knows best: How “translations” of immigrant families’ recipes (re)construct a celebrity chef’s epistemic authority. Symposium of Politeness / iMean Conference: Pragmatics of Translation. University of Basel.
- Nguyen, N.M. (June, 2021). Morality and the pronouns of power and solidarity in the conversational narratives of Southern Vietnamese dialect speakers. 23rd Sociolinguistics Symposium. Hong Kong.
- Nguyen, N.M. (June, 2019). Intertextuality, inclusion, and Asian American political organizing in an online messaging community. 16th International Pragmatics Conference. Hong Kong.
- Nguyen, N.M. (March, 2019). The authentication of ethnic identity in a Vietnamese American beauty pageant. Georgetown University Round Table (GURT) Conference. Washington, D.C.
- Nguyen, N.M. (March, 2019). Speaking Like a Real Queen: Heritage language ideologies, metasociolinguistic stancetaking, and ethnic identity in a Vietnamese American beauty pageant. American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL) Conference. Atlanta, Georgia.
- Nguyen, N.M. (April, 2018). In Our Own Queer World: The co-construction of coming out narratives in a conversation among queer friends. Symposium about Language and Society, Austin (SALSA). Austin, Texas.
- Schilling, N & Nguyen, N.M. (March, 2018). “We don’t have Smith Island kids anymore”: Identity construction through narrative and descriptive discourse in Smith Island, Maryland. Georgetown University Round Table (GURT) Conference. Washington, D.C.
- Nguyen, N.M. (December, 2017). Who is Peter Liang? Membership categorization and the co-construction of oppositional stance in a televised debate. American Anthropological Association (AAA) Annual Meeting. Washington, D.C.
- Nguyen, N.M. (March, 2017). “I’m not a BUTCH woman”: the role of stance-taking and indexicality in the construction of lesbian identities. American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL) Conference. Portland, Oregon.
Selected Invited Talks and Workshops
- Nguyen, N.M. (April, 2022). CLPS Colloquium Series. Place, Memory, and Diasporic Identities in Everyday Vietnamese Family Discourse. Brown University, Providence, RI.
- Nguyen, N.M. (July, 2021) Linguistics Career Launch: From Coursework to Career. Career Profile Speaker. Linguistic Society of America (LSA).
- Nguyen, N.M. (April, 2021) Annual Linguistics Career Expo 2021 Panelist. Pandemic Job Search Experiences & Strategies. Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
- Nguyen, N.M. (February, 2021). Guest Lecture: Linguistics Colloquium. Vietnamese person referencing practices and the construction of family identities in everyday conversational narratives. University of Georgia, Athens, GA.
- Nguyen, N.M. (August, 2018). Workshop. Activism in the Academy: Bringing AAPI Identity into Linguistics Research. Union of North American Vietnamese Student Associations (UNAVSA) Leadership Conference. Atlanta, Georgia.